Preparation Time = 20 mins Cooking Time = 20 - 25 mins
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa (powdered)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature (8 oz.)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (see note at bottom)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Sift dry ingredients three times - flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each egg.
- Add 1/4 of dry ingredients to creamed mixture then approximately 1/4 of buttermilk alternating until mixed well. Mix in vanilla and food coloring.
- Fill lined cupcake pans 1/2 full of red velvet batter. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pans for 5 to 10 minutes then remove and cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
NOTE: If you don't have buttermilk you can try this simple substitution. Place one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring cup. Fill with milk to 1 cup (8 fl.oz.). Let stand for 5 minutes until the buttermilk is created and then use in any cake recipe that calls for buttermilk.