Preparation Time = 45 mins Cooking Time = 20 - 25 mins
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips (1 oz)
- 1 1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- In a small microwavable bowl, microwave 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate chips uncovered on High for 1 minute, or until melted, stirring once halfway through heating.
- Pour chocolate onto a 12 x10-inch sheet of waxed paper; spread in a thin layer, forming 3 x 3-inch square. Place second 12 x 10-inch sheet of waxed paper over the chocolate square; press gently to release the air bubbles that will form. Roll waxed paper tightly into a suitable cylinder. Refrigerate until set.
- In a medium bowl - place 1 1/3 cups dark chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of butter. In a small microwavable bowl, microwave whipping cream on High for about 1 minute or until cream just begins to simmer. Pour cream over chocolate chips and butter; beat with whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and shiny. Refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes until completely cooled, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place cups in a 12 regular-size muffin tray.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; sift three times and then set aside. In a small bowl, mix boiling water and cocoa until dissolved.
- In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Beat for 2 more minutes. Beat in vanilla and egg until blended. On low, alternatively add flour mixture and cocoa mixture, beating just until blended. Divide batter across all the muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- Beat frosting with electric mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds (do not overheat). Fit decorating bag with large star tip. Fill bag with frosting. Pipe frosting in circular motion on top of each cupcake and mounding frosting slightly in the center.
- Unroll waxed paper cylinder, causing chocolate to crack creating shards. Garnish each cupcake with chocolate shards. Store in refrigerator.