Preparation Time = 20 mins Cooking Time = 20 - 25 mins
Makes 12 cupcakes
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1 lime
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
1 cup fresh blueberries, lightly washed
8 oz. cream cheese
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon lime juice
Zest of 1 lime
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pan with paper or silicone liners.
- Whisk 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour, the cake flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar and lime zest – rub together with your fingertips until fragrant. Add the butter to the bowl and cream on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and lime juice. With the mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat just until incorporated.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pans to a wire rack and cool the cupcakes for 5 minutes before removing them from the pans to the rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the lime juice and zest. Add the confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until completely incorporated. Increase the mixer to medium-high speed, and beat until fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes, and garnish with additional blueberries.