Preparation Time = 20 mins Cooking Time = 20 - 25 mins
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 egg whites from large eggs ( enough for 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl and beat at high speed until egg whites are frothy. This will take approximately 1 minute.
- Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to egg whites. Mix at high speed until egg whites are almost stiff, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of sugar gradually while mixing on low speed. Scrape bowl.
- Mix flour and remaining 1/2 cup sugar together and spoon 1/4 of mixture over egg whites, folding gently between each addition.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners until they are 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown and cracks are very dry.
- Cool cupcakes completely before removing from pan. Place on cooling rack to finish cooling process.
- Place in airtight container if not decorating straight away.